Electrical Tips

Here are some tips for electrical wiring and basic electrical wiring in your home – Please consult a registered Electrician for in depth information, or if you have an electrical problem that needs fixing, dont put yourself in danger – call us first!

Basic Electrical Tips

Listen to your breaker.

A breaker that trips immediately after it’s reset is telling you that there’s an electrical problem. Sure, sometimes the breaker itself is to blame, and in some cases there may just be too large an electrical load operating on that circuit. But it’s more likely that the breaker is tripping because there’s a severe electrical problem.

Keep pressing that breaker, and you’re likely to cause a fire. Call your local Auckland electricians and we will come out and fix that for you

Never throw water on an electrical fire.

This will be obvious to many, but when you are faced with an electrical fire, grabbing a bucket of water can seem tempting. Water conducts electricity, so throwing water on the fire could cause it to get larger and also cause a shock to anyone touching or coning into contact with water.

Instead, use your chemical fire extinguisher.

Aside from blatantly obvious electrical malfunctions that lead to flying sparks or circuit breakers that trip repeatedly, you should always keep a sharp eye cocked for more subtle telltale electrical-danger signs:

Lights that flicker or that trip the circuit breaker

Cause: Loose wiring splice or a light fixture that’s worn out and needs to be replaced.

Solution: Cut power to the fixture and investigate the supply wiring and the fixture itself. Replace wire connectors with new professional-grade types. Replace the fixture if suspect.

Outlets with a face plate that’s warm to the touch

Cause: An overly large electrical load operating on that outlet, undersized wiring or a loose electrical splice. (Note: it’s not unusual for dimmer switches, especially large ones, to be warm. Unless the switch face is actually too hot to touch, a warm dimmer is not a hazard in most cases)

Solution: Cut power and investigate. Look for a loose splice, melted connections, burned insulation. Repair as necessary. Also, evaluate wattage of device; it may be too large relative to supply wiring.  If condition persists, call your local Auckland electricians and we will come out and fix that for you

Wobbly switches or outlets

Cause: Device is improperly mounted to the electrical box or the box itself has come loose from the stud.

Solution: Cut power. Remove faceplate and tighten mounting screws. Occasionally, overly long screws will not fully seat. Shorten screws with an electrician’s multitool (a pair of pliers that strip wire, bend wire and cut screws ). Reinstall device. Otherwise, tighten connection of box to framing.

Your beer fridge in the garage that occasionally gives you a small shock

Cause: Many an old beer fridges will have a tiny leakage current because of worn-out insulation on its internal wiring, especially if it has a defrost circuit. This phenomenon is well-known and can even be quite dangerous when the refrigerator is placed on an electrically conductive concrete floor, especially a floor that’s damp with condensation.

Solution: Replace the refrigerator with a new energy-conserving model.

For any other questions, give Electric Guys a call!

Chat to us obligation free!
Whether its an Electrical renovation or repairs and maintenance, our electricians are here to assist! Why not chat to us and find out how we can help you
Thank You. We will contact you as soon as possible.